Sunday, March 15, 2009

a skewed view of "just enough"



As Americans, when we think of "living within our means," we usually include basic cable and the occasional meal at McDonald's.

Prov. 30:8-9,
"Keep deception and lies far from me,
Give me neither poverty nor riches;
Feed me with the food that is my portion,
That I not be full and deny You and say, 'Who is the LORD?'
Or that I not be in want and steal,
And profane the name of my God."

According to this, "living within our means" means that we have food that is just enough.

Just enough. No leftovers. Maybe not even feeling full, but still enough to sustain our bodies.

Our view of poverty is, in fact, living within one's means.

One time I tried fasting every week, and the process reminded me of how much our bodies really don't need food or drink to go about our daily business. It's a psychology thing. An American thing.

So, who is up for praying that for their own lives and families?