Saturday, March 14, 2009

praise God for the light


The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. - John, in chapter one of his gospel

Reasons why I was overwhelmed with gratitude when I read this passage:
1. Christ is the true light.
- He is never half-powerful. Christ is the one through whom "all things were made."
2. The true light enlightens everyone.
- Christ does not come just for the Jews, or just for the Americans, but effectively saves the nations.
3. In John's time, the true light was coming into the world.
- Christ knew the condition of the world, and yet he still stooped to live among the most despicable creatures.
4. He was in the world.
- We live in a time where, as Christians, we are afraid to live in the world. Yet Christ came to the world to live, to hurt, to be tempted, and to utterly glorify God through it all.
5. The world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.
- I should never think that I am too far above not recognizing the hand of Christ. When Jesus came, even though he is the Source, everyone was looking to other things. Let me never forget that my being a new creation and having anything good in me is only the result of His hand.
6. He came to his own.
- God had dealt with the Israelites for hundreds of years, and yet Jesus still went to them. How quickly we disown people in our culture.
7. His own people did not receive Him.
- The Israelites called themselves the people of God, yet they did not receive God. Let me never become so proud in what God has done in my life to forget to find his works today.
8. Receiving Christ is the same as believing in his name.
- Everyday I see hundreds of people who follow a religion where they have to go through a series of works to have the chance at earning God's approval. But Christ has done all of our works so that we only have to believe in him. (And while that same faith has the power to move mountains, it is impossible to attain without the grace of God.)
9. Christ gives us the right to become children of God.
- In a generation and culture of entitlement, maybe I think I deserve God's favor. But no, I am able to be called a child of God only because it is a gift from Christ.
10. My re-birth is not by blood, flesh, or the will of man, but of God.
- Blood, flesh, and the will of man are all temporal. They will all fail. Only God is able to sustain something, and praise Him that my salvation does not rest in feeble hands that are strong one moment and weak the next, but resides in the hand of the One who holds all of creation.