Tuesday, January 6, 2009

wisdom of the believer, wisdom of the world

Went to church last Sunday, and as usual, was blessed by the preacher's sermon, which was taken from Eph. 5:14-19. (If I have not mentioned my wonderful national church in times past, ask me about it sometime--I never thought I would enjoy church like I do at my home church in the States.) God revealed a lot of truth in a short amount of time, but one of the many things that struck me was the explanation of being wise as seen in this passage versus our personal conception. The preacher explained that biblical wisdom is one in which you can see the Spirit of God, and directly follow it.

It's a simple definition until you apply it to your life.

He contrasted this biblical wisdom with worldly wisdom, and how worldly wisdom is to follow what will bring you success. It was in that explanation that I realized that's often how I walk--trying to find the most successful way to do something. Sure, it's not related to money in my line of work, but there are other signs that I look for. I thought that I'd been walking wisely in these evil days, but turns out I've just been syncretising biblical wisdom with spiritual success, and the result is that I follow things that will bring spiritual fruit.

To be so atuned to the spirit of God that I move when He does, is the subject of my prayers this week.
Therefore it says,
"Awake, O sleeper,
and arise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you."

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.
The following is one of the painfully-beautiful songs I've been listening to the last couple of weeks, on piano. The song is "Re: Stacks" and is originally performed by Bon Iver.

...and the original: