Thursday, January 8, 2009

so this thing about the Gaza Strip...

Most of our hearts, I'm sure, are heavy from the events going on in the Middle East. (Admittedly, when I first heard of the developments there, I didn't believe it.) When I saw the first round of pictures from the Boston Globe, I was a little naseous without even looking at the "inappropriate" gory pictures. I didn't look at the second group, instead choosing to pray directly for those afflicted over the past couple of weeks.

I'm not going to go into the politics of who is right or wrong, but as believers placed on earth to usher in the new kingdom and to live out the kingdom of Christ by reflecting the thought and habits of the Lord, I do think we need to be in deep prayer for what's happening.

Over the past few days, I've heard of different groups around Southeast Asia rising up to protest these attacks, several of those protests aimed at the West in general, for supporting Israel. Not only do we have to face the carnage on scene, and the thousands of deaths, but society around the globe has been uprooted. There's a billboard next to the local mall in my city that scolds Israel's actions. Westerners are being warned by the authorities that demonstrations might happen.

I'm not writing this to say that I feel unsafe--I often feel more safe here than I do in the sketchier parts of Louisville. I'm just writing to say that this world is in disrepair and a bit of a frenzy, and we should be on our knees in intercession.

If you need a motivator to do this...
pictures from last week
pictures from this week