Tuesday, November 4, 2008

in but not of

For those of you that thought this would be spiritual, I'm sorry to mislead you. Just an update of a few things I've noticed about myself, which will only confirm my being a freak when I return to the States.

In Fall 2008, I know I'm in a different culture because...
1) I choose the squatty potty over the Western potty. It's more practical, and much easier.
2) To speak English, sometimes I translate from my adopted language because I forget the English equivalents. (note: this does not mean I am fluent, it only means I'm stupid.)
3) I like jackfruit. Yes, the fruit that stinks, the close cousin to durian. Did I mention that it stinks?
4) The idea that families of mosquitoes are flying around me don't alarm me. (Have I mentioned that I hate rainy season?)
5) I just sleep on top of the bed since it is too hot to use a sheet. (Only those who know me well will know that when I sleep, I generally like to re-enact my time in the womb, which involves heavy blankets, or at least a sheet.)
6) I want to ride my bike with a jacket on, since I might have air enter my body and get violently ill the next day. (A local myth that I now believe in--and now, if I ride my bike, I can feel the air in my head. It hurts.)
7) Driving without rules is totally normal. I can pass a car whenever I want, even if there's one coming from the opposite direction. No harm, no foul. There is no white line. There is no speed limit.
8) When I prepare American meals, they don't have any taste. Where are my chili peppers? I guess the bottled chili sauce will do...
9) I was teaching in a government building and looked down to see a stray kitten (with no tail because they're all so inbred) that had wandered into the room...you know, like usual.
10) I can't imagine life without my rice cooker or wok, and actually make mental notes to buy said tools when I move back to the States.