Saturday, August 30, 2008

the reason for God

Like I said the other day, I picked up Timothy Keller's The Reason for God at the airport in Singapore. A couple days later, I've finished about 160 pages (with quite a few left to go).

Being one of those that always thinks about things that really have little importance, I've always enjoyed philosophy, even deconstruction in which I can state I'm sitting on an Oreo eating a toilet. Maybe because of my fondness for the abstract, I've always tried to reason myself out of Christianity, mostly when I read the Bible or books defending the faith. Of course I've never come close to not-believing, I just like spotting the logical fallacies which run rampant in Christian writing and talk in Christian circles.

With that said, I've approached Keller's book with the mind of a skeptic, wondering if its arguments would hold up. The result? So far, I have found a couple of problems in its reasoning, but overall it's one of the least fallacious books on the topic that I have ever read--maybe because Keller is a pastor instead of an apologist.

And, with that out of the way, I'll continue to plug the book. If you want your mind stimulated, read it. If you want to be encouraged in your faith, and learn a lot of new things along the way, read it. If you want to prove him wrong, read it.

The Reason for God by Timothy Keller

Oh yeah, and I just downloaded and will start to read Plantinga's "Two Dozen (or so) Theistic Arguments," so I recommend that too, if you're willing to read Plantinga-jargon.