Tuesday, March 4, 2008

critter update


Here is a list of all the critters we have found in and around our house in prior weeks.

Cockroaches come out at night. Sometimes I take the effort to kill them. A lot of other times I don't. These are called friends.

Ants of many different forms can be found on and in our food. We don't worry about killing them because it would be futile. Did I mention they were everywhere? But anyway, not a big deal. These are called vitamins.

There are centipedes that we find every now and then. Those creep me out, but usually I just put them on a piece of paper and throw them outside.

There are sacks that hang from the ceiling, and we're not sure what critters are in them, but we've labeled them little nasties.

Then the things we thought were slugs--turns out they are leeches. They are still around, but they are only bad on some days. We kill them like no other.

One time we saw a miniature snake with legs. It was only about six inches long and we were able to kill it with a flip flop, but it was disgusting. One of my national friends saw it, and I asked him what it is called in the national language. He said he only knows it as "snake with legs." Helpful, huh? Anyway, we call it Satan, because surely that's what Satan looked like in the Garden.

There are many lizards who live here, but we like them because they eat the mosquitos. The lizards here are almost translucent--a wild looking animal, and they are pretty skittish.

The worst part is the cats. We have several that think this is their house despite our efforts to prove them wrong. When we aren't here or are inside, they are in our front yard. One time when we were watching a movie, one snuck in Erin's room (through the window which doesn't have a screen, only the bars) and puked on her bed. Another time I was asleep when I woke up to what sounded like two very frustrated cats. Then I realized the frustrated sound was actually them making babies. It was pretty loud, and I knew they were inside the house, so I got up to find them outside our kitchen going at it. They can get in because the back of the house is open to the sky. The next time I see them I will kill them without a second thought. I tried to hit them with a broom, but they ran away too quickly. The bad thing is that these ugly cats get together and the only thing they propagate is more ugly cats, so really if I kill the ugly ones, then I would be doing this country a favor. We just call these things, "Die, you stupid cats!" (Only we say it in the national language so they'll understand. ;) )